View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

You didn't start laughing did you? Coaches say & do the strangest things sometimes don't they.

After many, many years of umpiring baseball my HS softball career begins tonight with a varsity scrimmage. I am hoping for much better coaching than you experienced.

But speaking of strange things coaches say and since I am just sitting around bored this morning I want to share a couple of things from a HS baseball scrimmage I worked this week (F/S level). I worked this game (solo) because no one else wanted to and now I see why. Now my assinger owes me big time :-)

Play: R1 stealing 2B.
F2 pops up and throws to F3 (instead of 2B). F3 attempts to throw the ball to F4 but hits R1 in the back. I signal safe. The coach says, "the ball hit the runner", I responded "So?". Coach says "he was running with his arm outside of the running lane". I say "What are you talking about?"

Later, same coach. Runner slides safely into 2B. Without asking for time he steps off the base & starts brushing the dirt off. F4 is standing next to him with the ball in his hand and tags him out. Here comes my now favorite coach saying "The play was over, time was out". I said "Who called time out?" His response was a confused look then "You should have called time." With a smile on my face I said "No coach, your player should have asked me to call time out."

I love this game.....