View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

8th grade playoffs -- same rules as NFHS except slight timing differences.

earlier in the game partner makes a call and coach comes out about 3-4 feet on the court complaining to partner (partner is lead away from benches) -- i come up as trail and tell the coach if he has a problem with our calls to ask us and not to come on the court again or else it will be a T. Coach's response "Are you serious?" I look at him for a second and say "there's only one way to find out" He returns to his bench.

Now this coach is animated and what not and I already had words with the other coach who yelled across the gym "Bad Call" about 2-3 times -- when i got to the other side i told him "If you have a problem with my call address it to me but next time you call me out across the gym its going to cost you" -- at least he appologized.

Last couple minutes of the game the animated coach is losing and is yelling "FOUL -- FOUL" -- i call the foul and I go to report the nubmer and tell him if he wants his kids to foul he should call it something else as that is an intentional foul. He throws a small fit which i kinda laughed at -- "you cant be serious -- way to take this so serious -- where in the rule book does it say that". At the table is another ref who tells him that its ok to do that as long as its his strategy to stop the game clock. At the next timeout i ask him why would those explicit rules be in the rulebook and casebook if it werent to be called -- not like i gave his player an intentional i talked to him about it first. That ref didnt agree but I made it clear to him.

Couple possesions later one of his players grabs a jersey in an attempt to foul -- tweet "intentional" -- he wasnt happy but in the interest of the game i let him do his song and dance for about 3 seconds then whack. they lost by like 8 or 9.

basically what are yalls input on a coach yelling foul -- now i would never call an intentional right away but i would address it with a coach first. I will even tell him call it what every other coach calls it "x" or what ever. However in retrospect at 8th grade level i shouldve T'd him up earlier when he came on the court but i thought better to manage the situation than possibly make it worse at the time.