View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WooPigSooie
First of all, I am a new member of the forum and a very young and inexperienced umpire. My very first game calling HS Varsity, I was in the field (2 man crew). Runner on 1st and 2nd. I am in my position between 2nd and 3rd. Catcher throws behind the runner on 1st. Obviously, I do not have the angle. Everyone is looking at me for the call. Since I dont know she is out, I call the girl safe. Defensive team, fans, and coaches go nuts (evidently it wasnt close, she was out easily). I then ask for help from the home plate umpire because he has a better angle and he proceeds to tell me that is my call IN FRONT OF EVERYONE.

Who is correct? Is it definately my call EVEN THOUGH I obviously dont have the proper angle or is that a call that is suppose to go to HP umpire by default because of positioning. If I do make the call and it is wrong, can I ask for help in that scenario?

I apologize if this is a dumb question. I know the game front and back, but the thing I ran into MUCH more than anything is proper officiating mechanics. Thanks for the help.
First, there are no dumb questions.

Second, a young & inexperienced umpire working a varsity game, too much pressure. You should have been working with an experienced umpire and he should have helped you out IF he saw something different. It should have been a private conversation between the two of you. No matter what anyone says, the days of living or dying by the call are ending. We need to get the call right, even if it means going to our partner...but with all that said, there are situations when you won't go for help. Your partner should have been looking at the play also, and if he had a better angle he should have communicated that to you. When I see my partner out of position and I have good position on the play I will indicate to him that I have something that might help him make the correct call, if he needs help. I try to protect my partner, especially an inexperienced one. It's all about team work, communication and getting the call right. Remember the name of that plate umpire and never work with him again

Third, it was your call. You need to always be watching the ball, moving into the correct position, and expect things like pick-off attempts like this. It comes with experience, it will come to you.

Fourth, don't let the coaches tell you when to go for help. Learn to sell your calls.

Fifth, there's not an umpire on this board who hasn't 'kicked' a call (or two), so forget it and move on.