Thread: Lodged Ball
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

I have a question about balls lodging in a catcher or umpire's uniform/gear under NFHS rules. There was some discussion at our local meeting the other night.

Page 37: Dead Ball Table "16. A pitch or thrown ball from pitcher's plate...lodges in umpire's or catcher's equipment. Award: All runners one base"

Page 37: "12. Fair ball...lodges in player's uniform or equipment. Award: All runners two bases from TOP"

Rule 8-3-3 c) says that all runners awarded two bases if a fair batted or thrown ball lodges in catcher or umpire's gear. d) says one base if a pitch (or throw from pitching plate)

There was a "Discussion" at our meeting by those who said it was runners only advance if forced on lodged pitch because of batter becoming a runner on ball four or strike 3. They said then and only then would runners advance (if they were forced). Am I missing something here?

8-3-3 in the casebook, (I could not find a rule reference in the rules book) seems to imply that if lodged in a player's shirt, for example, the runners do not move up unless advanced and the runner gets the base they were going to (umpire's judgment)? Under OBR, would this be to the umpire's judgment and award bases to nullify the dead ball? Thanks....