Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
I'm disappointed in you, Imeadski. Re-read Time2Ref for a thoughtful response which pretty well captures my thoughts. The less thoughtful and straight-forward response is:

The play was not as bad/violent as you are describing; recognize your own bias in the matter. You deserved the T.
I think you aren't getting my position on this. First, as a registered official, I was somewhat embarassed to get a T. Secondly, the play was VERY rough, enough for two of my players to get bloody mouths and another to have an eye watering and red she couldn't see clearly out of it for over 15 minutes. As far as advantage goes, this was 11 and 12 year old girls playing in a FRIENDSHIP tournament. If this was a JV or Varsity tilt, I could understand not stopping play. And, as a coach and ref, I have little bias in either direction. I understand both sides, which is why I asked (maybe not so directly) when one takes off their reffing veneer (dont argue calls, overlook perceived mistakes, etc.) and take up the cause for my players that were ending up on the floor with bloody lips. And, by the way, I never said I didn't deserve the T, I was just surprised he called one because I called him stripes. When I asked why he T'd me I thought it would because of my initial reaction to the no call and then the non-stoppage of play in a weekend friendship tournament for girls.
Oh, nonsense. Friendship tournament, my backside. If girls are getting drilled the way you are saying, what's FRIENDLY about it?

How long have you been officiating anyway? Even the best miss a call like this once in a while. Nothing annoys officials more than an injured player and a coach wanting our ear rather than tending to the player.

And Juulie, I agree with you regarding contact at this level. But I'm still judging advantage/disadvantage on just about every bit of contact. And it drives parents and coaches NUTS at this level. But I'm not there to lead a parade to the free throw line, I'm there to officiate the game.
Friendship tournaments are called so because there are no tournament winners. We are there to play 3 guaranteed games and to build team skill. I have been officiating one year, coaching for 15, and fully expect calls to be missed. My assistant coach tended to the girl, who, happened to be his daughter.