View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, being an argumentive SOB.....

- Rule 6-5-7 sez that throw-in must be made "from any point outside the end line".
- Rule 1-1 sez that the high school playing court has ideal dimensions of 84' in length and 50' in width.
- Rule 1-2-1 sez "the playing court shall be marked with sidelines, end lines and other lines as shown on the appended diagram".
- The "appended diagram" is shown directly before Rule 1. That diagram shows the end lines terminating where they meet the sidelines, and it also shows that the optimum width of an end line is 50 feet.

Shazaam....the end line is 50 feet wide and the rules say you gotta make your throw-in from behind it. Ergo....it should be a violation.

Or should it?

This isn't listed as one of the throw-in violations under rule 9-2.

Good Lord! Edited to add that I just realized that I'm morphing into NevadaReferee.
JR,

I don't have the most current rule book with me at the moment, but in an older version handy isn't the rule you quote 7-5-7, not 6-5-7? Irrespective of the actual number, the term is "outside" the end line as actually written in the rule book and it isn't nearly as clear as "behind" the end line as you concluded.

I coach ergo I am confused.