Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
what's more terrible is that we two refs are both 14 years old!
I've got one that is even "more terrible"...

any assigner that assigns two boys to a game where they are younger than the High School girl players...should have his/her head examined.

It's common, that's how severe the referee shortage is, I rarley call games where the players are younger then me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Crazy Voyager,

Sounds like a horrible, horrible game. I had a game that was considerably less horrible when I was first starting out that almost convinced me to give up officiating. And I was 35! I'm impressed that you handled it so well, and lived to tell

Just a couple of thoughts, admitedly based on an NFHS perspective. The Blue coach seems to me to be your biggest problem. Was there an assistant that was any better? If so, I would have thought about unloading the blue coach. Her "Don't talk to me" comment would have been a good opportunity. Of course, that would only be effective if you're reasonably hopeful that the assistant would get things back under control.

But when the coach told her players to stop playing D, and especially when she instructed her player to pass the ball to the other team, I think it's time for the game to be over. The coach is making a travesty of the game. Nothing good can come from this point onward. I don't know if FIBA rules allow you to do this, but I think it's probably the best thing for everybody.

Just something to think about.

Hang in there, you're next game is guaranteed to be better
There wasn't any assistant there, and the coach were totaly unreacheble for my comments, in her mind she got to criticise us but we never even look at her.

And I was going forward to the board to abort the game, but there were only a few seconds left so I let them play that out, but I thought about calling it erly (there wasn't any scorebord either, the board had there own clock and then would-or rather should- call out 1 minute, 30 seconds and so on)

And I've got to know now that one of the players is getting reported to the police, and she's 16 so she's old enough to be punished in a court too...

Forfeiting a game that has started is not something you will do very often. I've been part of two in my career, one was a church league tournament game, one was a men's rec league championship game during overtime. Both times were near the end of the game. Both times things had gotten to the point where it was just time for the game to be over. Don't let the time on the clock unduly influence you. But do realize that once the players, and coaches, have decided that they'd rather do other things than play the game by the rules, only bad things are likely to happen.

I wasn't there. I can't say whether or not you should have stopped the game. Just saying don't let the time on the clock influence your decision. A lot of bad can happen in just a few seconds.