View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh
Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
My understanding of 8-8.C is that, on any play, no more than one defensive player can be protected on any batted ball. The act of attempting to field a batted ball does not provide protection; the fielder must be capable of making an out, AND must be the player judged to have the BEST play to make the out, if more than one might have a play.

Many times we will see both 2B and SS chase a ball hit up the middle with no real play; if they impede a runner, that is obstruction.
I pose these as questions rather than statements because I do Fed, not ASA softball.

Isn't protection limited to one player at a time, rather than to one player? For example, the umpire can start off providing protection to F3 on a high pop-up, but shift protection to F4 when the wind moves the ball in that diretion (or F4 calls off F3)?

Why wouldn't a player be afforded protection even if you didn't think she was capable of getting an out? With R2 and a slow ball hit to F6, it might be obvious that a speedy B2 can't be put out. Nevertheless, R2 is prohibited from crashing into F6 because F6 is protected while fielding the ball. This is because she is making a play, not because she is capable of making an out. Correct? Of course, in your example I agree that it is obstruction, but not only is she not capable of an out, she is not making a play when she is chasing a ball.

Mike
There is a difference between ASA and NFHS. NFHS you have the ability to make a play, ASA the ability to make an out. They're all apples, but Very different apples when it comes to ASA and NFHS.