View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USC04alum
I need help verifying that I am right. Player A brings the ball up the court and crosses the half court line. Player B is following behind and jumps over the halfcourt line from the backcourt while Player A is passing Player B the ball. If Player B catches the ball in the air before ever landing in the frontcourt, would it be a backcourt violation?
First, Welcome. Second, keep in mind when posting A refers to offense; B is defense. In your post, most will say that it is not a violation because player a (offense) passed the ball to b who is (defense).

I think you was trying to say that player A-1; passed the ball to player A-2 who jump from BC to FC. You have to look at rule 4-35. You have three criteria that must be met.

art 1... The location of a player or nonplayer is determined by where the player is touching the floor as far as being:
a inbounds or OOB
b in FC OR BC
c outside or inside the 3 point line

art 3... The location of an airborne player with reference to the three factors of art 1 is the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor or an extension of the floor.

So if A-1 is passing to A-2 A-2 jumps from BC to FC and receives the ball while airborne then you have a violation.