View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
Partner finally says: "Coach, your 30-seconds is up, I need a sub."

Your partner is too nice a guy. There's no warning required to the coach to get a sub up there. If the 30-second horn goes and there's no sub at the scorer's table, it's an automatic technical foul. The sub can't be on the way to the table when the horn goes; he has to actually be there.
Welcome back, JR! I absolutely agree that no warning is *required* -- we end up doing a lot of things, mostly in the name of "game management" that are not *required*. I'm thinking here of the stop sign, or the request to get back in the coaching box, or the request to "get 'em on the floor" at the huddle after the second horn of a timeout. Forget this particular situation -- I think this coach had earned his T and had it coming -- but my question is more general: Do you think it is inappropriate or unwise, as a general matter, to give a coach one last chance to avoid the T?

I agree that we have rules authorization to penalize if the sub is not *at* the table, just wondering if this is one of those situations where if the sub is *on the way* to the table, it might better serve the game to refrain from rigidly using our authorization. I'm interested in your (and others') perspective.