View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
A1 swings her arms a bit and makes minor contact with B1's arm -- I no-call it as nothing. Then A1 looks at B1, loads up, and plants her elbow into her. Bang! Intentional foul!

Of course the A coach wanted anything else, like "get them off of her" or whatever. I told the coach "Nope - you have your choice: intentional or flagrant." Later in the half my partner nailed the same player for, you guessed it, throwing an elbow. This time it was only a Player. She ended the first half with 2 fouls, both for throwing elbows.
I must humbly disagree with your call. The use of the elbow to deliberately strike another player has no place in basketball. Other than a lag kick by a person trained in hand to hand combat or marshal arts, the elbow is the most devastating weapon on the court. Yes, a weapon because it is being used as one. An elbow in the chest can easily crack a rib. Not even talking about the face or the kidney.

When I coached, I made it clear to my players that if I ever see an elbow being thrown he was off of the team. When refereeing, it is an ejection the second I see it. When conducting training classes of young refs, I make it clear that it is not accepted. In the rec. league, the kid sits out 2 games the coach and the parents are reminded that this type of action is not tolerated. A second elbow and the kid is not allowed back.

In your game the girl did not learn from her action. An intentional foul to her is just like any other foul. It is one of 5 that she gets a game. Looks like the coach did not care either as she was still in the game to throw a second-one.