View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bebanovich
In our league, we mostly use a particular organization and I found myself working for more calls (with self-imposed limits that I can go into if anyone is interested), with mixed results - never really feeling good about this but at least feeling like everything was evening-out in the end. Anyway, I kept hammering away the same way every game until our tournament when officials from a different organization were brought in. At the end of the first quarter, one of the officials came over and pointed out that a call I was demanding on our opponent was really going to hurt my team and our style if he started to mete it out how I wanted it it at both ends. The only other thing I said to officials all night was a quip to the same ref as he ran by and it ended up being a tournament win for us. .
HELLO!?!? Are you listening to yourself? You quit bugging the refs and your team won. Why not, "Lesson learned?"

I'm sorry to sound impatient and rude, but I really get tired of you coaches yelling and yelling at me when it's the players who should be receiving 100% of your attention. The more you coach them, the better they'll play. The more you don't blame someone else when they goof, the more they'll work on their shortcomings. It's just that simple. Trying to get a win out of the ref is a huge waste of time, and of taxpayer money.

Of course there's room for the occasional suggestion or question. But the tone of your post to is strategize your conversations, and that's simply not a helpful thing to do. The more coaches do this to me, the less lee-way they get.

I had a coach question a call (relatively politely) during a dead ball. I told him the rules basis of my call, and he disagreed, but then said, okay if that's the way you're going to call it, we won't use that play. And they didn't. And they won, by the way. He wasn't working me, he was adjusting. That's good strategy. You teach your players to adjust to the reffing they've got. That's just good coaching.

Oh, and while you're at it, talk to the parents. Don't let them do the yelling that you can't do. The fewer zingers I get from the stands the more lee-way I'll give the coach, frankly.

Just a few suggestions from a grouchy ref.