View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Here's a suggestion...

As a former player, coach and current ref, here are some suggestions for Bebanovich and the other coaches on this forum:

1) Coach your team!! If you put three quarters of the amount of energy into devising an 'unstoppable' play as you have worrying about how to work the officials, your team gameplan might improve to the point where you don't have to worry about the officials.

2) Teach your team the FUNDAMENTALS!!!! If your team is playing defense properly, boxing out properly, dribbling and passing and screening properly, you don't have to worry about us officials.

3) Make it about the kids!!! They are there to have fun and learn, not be brought down by some 'adult' that needs to feel justified in his position on the bench.

The fact that you feel you need to gain an extra edge is not justified by saying that your opposing coaches might out-yell or out-whine you. If you ever sit back and watch a game in which you have no rooting interest, you will notice how much easier it is to see the officials' calls for what they are.

I handle the squeaky wheel coaches with my own tactic. When they scream and scream for a call, I give it to them. And after the other team inbounds the ball following the infraction they asked for, they normally shut up.

[Edited by SeanFitzRef on Feb 6th, 2006 at 12:24 PM]