View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

RULE 5, SECTION 6 BEGINNING, END OF QUARTER OR EXTRA PERIOD
Each quarter or extra period begins when the ball first becomes live. It ends when the signal sounds indicating time has expired, except that:
ART. 1 . . . If the ball is in flight during a try or tap for field goal, the quarter or extra period ends when the try or tap ends.
ART. 2 . . . If a held ball or violation occurs so near the expiration of time that the clock is not stopped before time expires, the quarter or extra period ends with the held ball or violation.

ART. 3 . . . If a foul occurs:

a. So near the expiration of time that the timer cannot get the clock stopped before time expires.
b. After time expires, but while the ball is in flight during a try or tap for field goal.

The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed. No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next.

EXCEPTION: No free throw(s) shall be attempted after time has expired for the fourth quarter or any extra period, unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.

I don't have the HS book with me so I'll just ask are you sure that what I've underlined falls under the "if" condition of 5-6-3?

In the ncaa book it stands on it's own as 5-7-4 so it is clear what the rule is & there's no need to go to 2-3.

"Except for disqualification or ejection, no penalty or part of a penalty shall carry over from one half or extra period to another."