Thread: holy cow
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Question

Friday night, girls varsity, home team is 2nd or 3rd in the state and notorious for having a tough crowd. 69-69 with 1.5 sec in the game. follwing the tying basket, white (home) goes to inbound the ball to her wide open teammate who is a whole step inbounds. somehow they seemed unsure of what they were doing and when the pass recipient catches the ball, she has her right foot on the court, left foot suspended above OOB, she then for some reason decides that she was supposed to be the inbounder and allows her suspended foot to land (OOB). I blow the whistle, buzzer sounds about a second later. We put 1 sec on the clock, spot throw in for blue under their basket. White's coach who's been yappy all game walks (WAY) out onto the court. almost to the center circle when I finally hear him yell "TIME!". (I haven't given the ball to blue yet, I blow my whistle, "time white" start walking up to him and my partner gets to him first. I figure she's going to tell him too sit, then I consider T'ing him myself for knowing better than to walk that far onto the court. (by the way, my voice is so hoarse it doesn't do me any good to talk to someone more than 2 ft in front of me.) As my partner starts talking to him, I gather my bearings and turn to face the players. Coach says something about "what's going on" and I turned and said to him, "I just gave you your time out". Then I'm not sure exactly what else he said, but my partner T's him. crowd goes wild. He doesn't budge. I take the ball to go administer the FT's. I go to my partner and tell her I gave him his time out,(I don't think she knew I called it, she didn't know that's why he walked on the court) the table buzzes me and the scorekeeper wants to know why we put 1sec back up. I (oops) finally report the time out, officially, even though I had said it enough times as we were right in front of table and both benches. for some reason neither team had gone to their benches, they just went to half court and stood there. Even after I report it, they STAYED LINGERING AT HALF COURT.... white goes to their bench finally, then I turn to the visiting coach and say " I just gave them the time out...(they stare at me blankly)...Do you want to use it too? you can talk to your team now..." They snap out of it and go "oh, yea, thanks." my partner & I meet at center court and ponder what the heck just went on.
(blue comes back from the time out, makes the 2nd FT... 69-70 now blue ball at half court, they inbound and the last second dies, we run for our stripey little lives to the peace and quiet of the locker room as whites coach follows us halfway across the court again.)

What do you all think about that? should my partner and I have communicated quickly before/as we were approaching him? I thought she heard me tell him I just granted his time out request, but then it was so loud, and my voice was so hoarse that I actually don't think either of them heard me. I was glad she T'd him, but I'm thinking I should have gotten to him quicker and told him to back the heck up, on the other hand, I was ready to T him anyway for being on the court in the first place. He knows better.