View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
If the defense commits illegal contact that could warrant a foul, you also have to determine whether there is an advantage gained. Consider this case:
A1 driving past B1 while B1 reaches in and hacks A1's non-dribbling elbow. A1 has B1 beat, and B1's contact had no effect on the advantage gained by A1. No foul. Let A1 have the layup. If they make it, you haven't taken away their advantage. If they miss, it isn't because of the contact before the shot.
It sounds like in the original play described here that there was no advantage gained by the contact.

I don't base my whistle on whether or not the shot goes in; it's whether or not the illegal contact results in a more difficult shot. I'm not comfortable with waiting to see if a shot goes in.
In my view, there is a dark side to what you are describing. It penalizes the defense. Over the years, I had to have players foul earlier and earlier in the drive to get calls on the floor.
You've exhibited some backward thinking in some of your posts but this may take the cake. The defense is committing an illegal act if they foul. How is it penalizing them if the contact is not called a foul? It's not different than bailing out an out of control player. I'm not going to make that call either. Advantage/disadvantage. I don't think you understand the term.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith