View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Last night I called a blocking foul on a drive by player A to the basket. The foul was clearly before the shot so I waved the shot off. A1 took a shot and scored a layup. I waved it off and gave Team A a throw-in. At half time one of my partners, a very experienced official, recommended to me that in this situation I hold my whistle until A1 takes the shot. If she makes it, as she did in case, ignore the contact and let A have their two points. If she misses it, call the foul. I agree with this principle and I think this is one thing that separates some officials from being good and being really good. I am not at the level yet where I can see this happen and hold the whistle but I will try. My question, however, is:

What if you ignore the intial contact and A1 misses the layup. You then blow the whistle. Since you know that the contact occurred before the shot how do you handle it, go ahead and shoot two free throws or call it a foul with no shot and give a throw-in? If you do this I am sure Team A's coach is not going to be happy. The coach is going to want free throws because it certainly will look like you are calling the foul on the shot. I forgot to ask this question to my partner so I would like your thoughts on how to handle this situation correctly.
I simply wait until the shooter begins the habitual motion, then I call the foul. I'm not concerned with whether the shot is made or not. I see too many officials penalize an offensive player who has gained an advatnage. They negate that advantage but calling a handcheck before the motion started. I always tell young officials, if you're going to call the foul, wait until the motion begins. Don't unfairly penalize the offense who's in a more advantageous position.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith