View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Timing

This whole issue about holding the whistle is about timing the call. In your situation (I wish I could see it), it sounds as if it happend in this order: A1 goes to the hoop, gets fouled, your whistle, her shot, basket goes in. I don't see how you could use a delayed whistle on this play. Either you must call the foul when it occurs, or, no foul at all and let her continue the play. You already have given her a chance to complete her play by letting the initial foul go. Why would I wait to blow the whistle to see if she could finish the play? Doesn't this give way too much advantage/benefit of the doubt to A1? If she can't finish I am supposed to call a foul? If she makes the hoop, no foul? I could see delaying the whistle a wee bit if you are unclear if she is in the act of shooting, which, would give you the opportunity to award 2 FT vs a throw in. But, if the player is not in the act of shooting when she is fouled, why delay the whistle? The shot goes in: and one. They shot doesn't go in, 2 FT. What am I missing here?