View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Hey Everyone, (I’m sorry in advance for the long post – it is interesting though)

For those of you that don’t know me, I’m Pat - I am a member of CEJBO in NJ. My first freshman boy’s game was today and I think I could use some pointers or advice...

A few plays/instances were somewhat questionable and I would like to know if you would handle the following situations like my partner/and me did. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks In Advance.
To let you know a little about the coaches in advance:
Blue Younger coach – new to coaching – “hot-headed”
White Older coach – experienced

SIT.1) A1 is dribbling the ball and proceeds to hold the ball over the sideline across from the table. B1 decides to run out of bounds, tip the ball while attempting to jump in bounds. (He thought to prevent the OOB situation)…
My Ruling – Violation on B1 – A Ball

SIT.2) After an OOB call, then a timeout, my partner calls “white” – and blows his whistle a few times. Then white walks on the court. He walks to me (who is the L), and I pointed him over to the other official. At that time, my partner places the ball on the ground as W1 picks up the ball. Instead of in-bounding the ball he passes it to W2 who walks out of bounds. (Here is where it gets good)…The W Coach walks out onto the court and starts to question the call – in a civil manner.
Our Ruling – We informed the coach about the violation and move on. Didn’t feel T was necessary

SIT.3) As the new T I’m moving into position as the blue coach says “MR. OFFICIAL” – the first time I ignore him as I’m watching the play… “MR. OFFICIAL”… So I look at him and say “Coach?” Then he comes back with… “You took one from me and I’m not going to let you take two.”
My Ruling – Blow it off – Saw a ticky-tack foul on blue – called it – Blue 42, hand-check, etc…
***Thought about “T” but didn’t think it was necessary

SIT.4) A1 is dribbling up court, B1 is defending. When A1 establishes front court status, B1 “bear hugs” A1 – at this time the coach for Blue proceeds to walk out on to the court and starts questioning my partner. He states that there was a foul (in my position as the new L in a full court press) {I was in position and I did not see white commit a foul}. My partner “T’s” the coach – while I’m reporting the foul to the table. The table did not catch my reporting… So my partner gives the BIG T… What I mean by that is – “Tweet”, “Technical Foul on Blue Coach, White shoots two…” Goes to administer the free throw already. There I am – still at the table – so I finish with the table (had a 8th Grader doing the book)… and tweet to my partner. Then I hustle over and state I have an intentional foul before the Tech on B1… We put A1 on the line – 2 shots, he stays for the T – 2 shots – all made. A Ball… Any comments or tips you can give me for this situation?

SIT.4 1/2) Blue coach (now “T”), proceeds to coach his team standing up… We inform him of the seat-belt rule… He says “So WHAT? There is no one here!!! Stop Showing Off.”
Our Ruling – We told him he had to sit down. He did, got up again and told him again. (2x got up)

SIT.5) 40-sec left in the game Blue is down by 12, I’m running down court – becoming the new L, and the Blue coach says --- “THAT’S UNBELIEVABLE REF!!” so I look and there’s Blue standing up in front of the scorers table. Well I had “tweet” and a pause and signaled “T”… Walked to the table and white coach came over and said – there’s only 40 sec left… I decided to waive it off and keep going… I didn’t want to eject him, but I wanted to send the message… What do you think?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully this game story entertained some of you…

Thanks…