View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I'll only address this commment.

Yes, it does - you are asking for a union apprenticeship wage. Plenty of apprentices work in kitchens, construction sites, offices and schools for pitances. Why should a Rookie ball umpire with no seasoning get paid anything close to what the top 1% of all umpires make? You make me laugh.

I suppose you think that a kid signed straight out of high school to a developmental league should receive a large portion of the MLB minimum? That makes as much sense.

Why wouldn't we be using union apprenticeship wages as a measuring stick? These are union members we're talking about.

You're assertion about rookie umpires not commanding a decent percentage of MLB umpires is a little skewed when compared to what trade union apprentices make by comparison. A trade union apprentice is taken on at 20% of journeyman scale in our union. These young men and women bring absolutely no applicable job skills with them when they enter the program. When they start they are little more than material handlers and floor sweepers. Still they command an equitable percentage of scale.

The MiLB umpires are the best that Evans and Wendlestedts has to offer. They bring significant skills to their trade from day one. They don't need to be babied and pampered for 5 years as they develop their skills like a trade apprentice does. Therefore they deserve to make an equitible percentage of MLB pay.

Tim.