View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

I admit, TAC, that I am laughing right along with you. Having actually been assigned out of professional school, albeit a very long time ago, I have an insight that these guys simply don't. I know the grind and what it takes to survive. After extra innings and no time to waste, my partner and I drove all night and slept in the car. We lived of our savings and families. We inhaled ball park food and lived to iron shirts (yes, we had to do that then) and polish shoes. Our facilities were spartan and we were usually treated like a commodity. Umpires are just that - a relaceable, disposable commodity.

The guy who said that he can't relate to the apprenticeship analogy, then substantiates it by saying that an apprentice knows if he proves himself he will some day get the brass ring! That sounds an awful lot like MiLB umpires. Sure the percentages are the same, but they are paid to develop their craft and fine tune their skills - just like an apprentice!

Plenty of independent MiLB programs use the services of local umpires and the complaints are the same as with the contracted guys. I almost pissed myself when another guy said that with those MiLB guys out of work, his assignor would happily give them games. Great, I hope he gives them yours. While it is true (and I said as much three months ago when we first talked about this) that most NCAA umpires have their schedules and won't be available for much of the MiLB schedule, you would be wrong to think they won't take them on their days off. I know more D1 guys than I care to and with most MiLB games being played on weeknights, they are often free to do them. You go from a three man single or double header to a single under the lights - that's a normal rotation. No one gets stuck with multiple dishes and you take home some extra cash. At the same time, you are polishing your skills. For some crews, they would actually be working better baseball on the college field!

Yet another member raises the issue of not being capable of umpiring that level of ball. Stop the nonsense already - yes, the players are quicker, more deceptive and more skilled. But, coaches and players argue any call that goes against them, no matter the level. No one has said that any high school umpire can step in and crew a AAA game. But, some guys can - you said it yourself. Those Rookie ball guys can and do work high school during the off season. The coaches still scream at them for blown calls. Yes, MiLB and D1 umpires blow calls!

You can't strike if you don't have a contract, but I digress. If they decide to stay away without a contract then they are opening Pandora's box. Their dream will end because they will be blackballed. Look how MLB treats some of their veterans who walked out. Give me a break about MiLB drying up and going away. Most people don't go to the park to watch the umpires. The new umpires will have a steep learning curve but will rise to the occassion. Water seeks its own level. The powers that be will proclaim that all is well and even the normal crews make mistakes. The MiLB will go from a small paycheck to welfare. Their dreams will be gone and some local assignor will give them your games. That sounds like someone that needs my sympathy. Artists, musicians and craftsmen often spend years toiling in poverty. They pray that their skills will lead them to the promised land. Why should the MiLB umpire be treated any differently?

We all agree they should earn more, but so should most of working America. We all want more for our games, but if I walk away from my schedule, I can't cry when the assignor puts someone I consider less talented on the field. That's life, we all wish we had asked Miss America to the prom.