View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Question

Hello, first time poster but always enjoy reading the board an d gaining knowledge. I'm a college freshman at Elon University, and am not certified. However I do several youth leagues back home, and if I wasn't at school and there weren't age restrictions, I would have become certified by now.

Anyway, to my question.

I know in order for there to be a back court violation, the ball and both players feet must be in the front court, in contact with the floor, and then one of those things must return to the back court, in contact with the floor.

Well I had a ref, who was certified, tell me that if Player A is in established front court position, passes the ball along the half court line (say 2 feet in front), Player B leaps from the backcourt, catches the ball in midair in the front court, and lands in the front court, it is back court.

The ball never broke the plane of the center line. What's the call? And lets say it did break the plane? Does that change anything.

My understanding is in situation A, where the ball doesn't cross that plane, no backcourt. If it does cross that plane (and touches an airborne player coming from the backcourt), backcourt is the proper call.

I know you guys hate talking about this stuff because it seems to come up all the time, but I just wanted the perfect picture on this so I have full understanding.

Thanks a bunch.