View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
I made the exact same mistake on Saturday. I gave the ball back to the Team in pocession and told both Coaches sorry for the IW. (Of course, the defending Coach was clueless all game but that's another story.)

I would NEVER give him a TO on an IW during the Dead Ball. That gives him an unfair advanatge and is contradictory to the the spirit of fair play. My mistake shouldn't penalize the other Coach.
I think I understand what you are saying and it's exactly how I feel. The Trail made an honest mistake, he started to grant a TO after a made basket, but the ball was already inbounded. He blew his whistle to start to grant the TO then realized his mistake. If he now, since the ball is dead, grants the TO, isn't he giving the team on defense an unfair advantage. Why? Because w/out the IW the couldnt have taken the TO. JMO.
I agree with both of you that it SHOULD be the way you say. Unfortunately, it's not. The NFHS does say that the TO should be given even if the ball is dead by a referee error.

In the OP, however, I'd have blown the TO and given it and called the whistle "late". "Coach, I had a little crumb in my whistle and I tried to blow the TO as the ball was falling through the basket, but it just wouldn't blow." If the requesting coach had indeed been asking for it all along, I think that's very reasonable.