View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Coach: what I'd recommend you doing on the lower level games is to have a running clock and eliminate (or significantly jack up) the bonus. I know you don't want to let things turn into a hack fest, but its unlikely at the 6-8 year old level that the ability to continue to foul as a team (they still have individual foul limits) that it will. The reason here is that a lot of officials are going to pass on fouls that you would rather they call so as to not turn the game into a day long free throw shooting contest. If you run the clock and don't have bonus shots, now most games are going to take the same amount of time regardless of what's called.

The problem I've always had with so-called "handouts" or league specific rules is whether to enforce them or not. Some public school jr. highs have these rules and I ignore them. They aren't part of UIL rules, and no one has briefed me on them. If they want to run things like that, its up to the coaches to police themselves. Your situation is a bit different as it isn't scholastic. You might simply remind the officials you hire about this.

Finally, I would suggest hiring an experienced official to handle the assignments. If you or someone in the league does it, you may not know how to get as good of officials out there, but if an official does it, he has hundreds of guys at his disposal (many that owe him favors), and chances are, he will get a better quality product. This may cost a little more (you can pay him like $2.50 or so for each game assigned and worked) but it will create fewer headaches for you.

What area of Texas are you in?