View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
NFHS (but I think all are the same.):

The opposing coach notifies the PU of the illegal substitution (a) after S2 has taken position on the field or (b) after S2 has made a play on the ball. In (a) and (b) S2 is restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game.
Picking some minors nits ....

In NFHS, a substitute is in the game once announced (which should NEVER happen in this case!!), or, if unannounced, when she takes her position in the field AND the umpire makes the ball live. Therefore, (a) might be premature.

In ASA (4-6.B), a substitute is not in the game, even if reported, until a pitch (legal or illegal) or a play (could be an appeal) has been made. Therefore (a) may result in nothing, and B2 COULD return if the substitution didn't (yet) happen.

In NCAA, subs cannot re-enter, so this play is unlikely. However, an illegal player is in the game as soon as reported, or if unreported, as soon as discovered. However (and this would be a wonderful question to the rules editor), illegal players can warm up other players; if I were the offending coach, I would argue that, until the ball is made live after the half inning, the illegal player was only acting as a warm-up player, not an intended substitution.