Thread: Injured Player
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

you are right

i was once a freshman ref -- but some guys (and all associations have them) that arent good officials (believe it or not they are just there for the check) -- and i give slack to the new guys but there are some that i know have 2-3+ years under their belt -- as a coach tell me you would not get mad at the following

sit a) I tell my players to back the ball out -- ref thinks i called timeout -- i say ok its inadvertant and he says onces he blows the whistle for timeout it must be given -- now i go into the second half with only 2 timeouts. he then tells me that him and his partner discussed it and that once they call the timeout and blow the whistle there is nothing that can be done

sit b) how about being told that my player was called for a block because he was stepping back and wasnt set

sit c) or one of my techincals
me: why was that last play a turnover when my player got shoved in the back (i said that as a question -- all i wanted to hear was coach i didnt see a shove -- fine with me) instead i get coach you better sit down the rest of the half (6mins left Q2)
me: for what?
ref: T

sit d) same ref who t'd me up there in a previous game (same ref 2 ts) -- block called on one side and charge called on other side by the same ref -- i agreed with the charge -- i asked him why we were called for the block (i asked him a question calmly because i know how i want coaches to address me)
ref: coach ive had enough from you (when this was the first time i asked him a question)
me: why wont you answer my question?
ref: T

sit e) you want more -- i treat ppl how i want to be treated and the times i have blown up at officials is when they

1) fail to simply address a question i have (not a statement)
2) tell me to sit down or shut up or both
3) miss several calls in their primary in a row
4) argue rules that they dont know and i do and they insist that they are right

i would be happy if once this season a ref told me -- coach i might have missed that or coach ill try harder or even coach what seems to be bothering you -- but not once this year has even 1 official (im wrong 2 officials that i work and have worked with have) but the others havent managed a game at all --

so if you shame on me and im not teaching my kids anything you are right -- because me having to teach my kids how to play proper basketball and hearing them complain about xyz kid grabbing, elbowing, pushing, hand checking etc. and me trying to get the officials to pay attention would get on your nerves too. The one time i did deserve a t and didnt get one was after i was given my inadvertant time-out -- there if he t'd me up i would have completly agreed and appologized to him after the game. And i dont just tell him out of the blue he was wrong -- i take offense to officials who defend themselves with rules that they dont know and they HAVE to be right.

As for the kids they know if they ever get a t they are in the doghouse. Sometimes however a T is necessary from a coach