View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kblehman
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
A moving, or dribbling, player is allowed to gather the ball with one foot on the floor and then jump (often splitting two opponents and other times just getting past a single opponent with a *Mother-may-I* leap) and land simultaneously on both feet, from that landing the player may not have a pivot foot.
I understand that much of it. But these days the players seem to be taking their allotted 2 steps (after gathering the ball), then landing on both feet, then jumping off of two feet for their shot. In the past when a player gathered the ball and left the floor after his second step--regardless of whether the last step was off of one foot or two--he had to get rid of the ball before landing again.

The jumpstop move seems to allow a player to take his 2 steps and land (on 2 feet) without it being a violation. It seems like a clear travel to me, but that's not how it's usually called. I'm just trying to understand why the 2-steps-then-jumpstop isn't a violation.
This is a lot easier to demonstrate than describe, but, just to focus on the matter of taking 2 steps, which is not legal, what's generally happening is that the player is picking the ball up ("gathering" - it sounds so hippie-psychedelic) ON THE BACK FOOT, then stepping on to the front foot, then jumping off that foot on to a two footed landing. Violation.

This happens at full speed, of course. Sometimes I see it in a kind of gestalt way - just see the whole move and recognize it's non-standard nature, and sometimes - when I anticipate that the player will be making the move - I look specifically for the timing of when the ball is picked up.