Thread: Rookie work
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stmaryrams
Quote:
Great that you are looking to improve but often times these AAU and "Travel" leagues and tournaments do the exact opposite of helping with game managment. You get overzealous coaches and parents that all think their son or daughter is next coming of Jordan.

These tournaments can leave you with lots of bad habits in mechanics.

Try to add in an official's camp or two this summer. You can check with your association to find one in your area. You will get lots of instruction and guidance by experienced officials.

Don't be afraid to take those middle school games. I was a sub for a JV girls game towards the end of my first year and found it was easier to call because the play was better.
Good Luck
I understand your comments about the AAU and travel tournaments. I was fortunate, however, that I was paired up with guys who were doing things right and were willing to help when I did something wrong and when I asked questions. For example, one reminded me that even though we were using a running clock, to get in the habit of bringing my hand down to start it because that's how real games are done.

I'll lok into a camp, that's a great idea. Thank you.