View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:11am
Jerry Blum

Unhappy

Situation that happened Friday night that hopefully someone else can learn from.

BV 3-man mechanics. Close game throughout, ends up going into overtime. 16.7 secs left in first overtime tie score visitors with ball table side. Inbound the ball get their shot and miss, Home team rebounds. Here is where the problem starts. Prior to inbounding the ball homes coach says something to me about a timeout(I'm Trail) after made basket. When ball is rebounded I turn for some reason expecting to see a timeout called, there wasn't, problem is I had started to blow my whistle when I turned. Table heard the whistle, benches must have heard it, and a player or two heard it(fairly loud in gym). Since the table heard it he stopped the clock at around 1.2 secs. Then started it again because no one including me reacted to the whistle right away. When I realized what I had done the the home teams shot was away and the clocked stopped at .2 secs.

Thank god I was on the game with 2 very veteran officials, one 30 years with multiple state finals and the other 18 years with numerous tournaments. We got together and decided that 2.8 secs on the clock and had home team inbound on the endline (had to go full court). Obviously vistor's coach not happy at all that home will get another shot but I went over and told him it was my fault and I screwed up. Didn't help much but Home's shot didn't go so we continued to the 2nd overtime, Luckily for me. Game ended up going a third overtime before the home team won by 4-5.

Talked with partners after the game and they said that when you have an inadvertant whistle you should continue blowing the whistle once you have blown it so that everything stops.

Sorry for the length just figured I'd help someone out so that they don't have to go through that situation or at least learn how to handle it.

Any comments are welcome.