View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
I certainly call it the way you do - making some allowance for the general Sumo-like pushing of both parties to the boxing out. I'm curious, however, about the rules basis you would advance when "undercutting" is what happens.
If A1 is airborne and B1 moves under him, has he gained his position legally? (4-23)
I would, with you, say no.

4-23-1 states that "Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent."

The airborne rebounder, it strikes me, would fall under 4-23-5. The defender who "undercuts" has not initially gained legal guarding position (4-23-5(d) & 4-23-2(b)), and has violated the time and distance provisions (4-23-5(a & b).

That being said, I would like make mention of a situation I raised perhaps a couple years ago:

Team A is throwing the ball in from the endline at their basket. A1 attempts to throw the ball to A2 who is beyond the 3-point line. B4, who is facing A1, leaps backwards to catch the ball. After B4 leaves the ground, A2 comes towards the endline to catch the pass and a collision ensues.

Who fouled whom and why?