View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Remo,

I would say that these situations you have just described would require me or any other responder to be present. Personally, when I am officiating the main thing I am concerned with is advantage/disadvantage. Or did player A gain an advantage over player B.

I can tell you that many times I have been underneath the bucket (or the lead official) and had Player B with his/her hands straight in the air. What the fans don't see and sometimes understand is that Player B has walked or moved into the shooter while the shooter was in the air. One of the things that gets preached to us each and every year is "Protect the airborne shooter!" If the shooter (player A) is in the air, Player B MUST allow him/her to come down. Many times the kids will walk into or bump the shooter with their hips or body. If this happens a foul has occured.

Next time this happens, pay attention to the way the official reports the foul. Does he/she put both hands on his/her hips thus signaling body contact? There is a key to everything. Believe it or not (and it sounds like you do believe it) there is a rhyme and reason to the things we do on the court.

Other than this, I would have to actually see the plays. Keep in mind "advantage/disadvantage" and maybe some of these calls will become a little more clearer for you. Just my opinion.