View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to remofire
This site has been a real eye opener for me. You guys definitly have your hands full. I have always been one of the fans the other fans get mad at from time to time, because I have told our people when they were complaining about calls, that the ref had a better angle than we did. And there have been several incidents in which I appeared to be about the only one that thought the ref made the correct call.
Whith that in mind, I thought I would throw out a few of my own misunderstood calls or interpretations.

1. When a defender is standing still with arms straight up in the air. The offensive players jumps into his arms and the defender is whistled for the foul. I always thought to myself that if you could not stick your arms straight up, then how can you play D at all?

2. Two players, one from each team are running across court from opposite directions after a loose ball. They both collide with each other at the time they reach the ball and one is whistled for a foul. To my non officiating mind, neither player should get a foul. They are both trying for the same thing. However, i am guessing that there is some explainable area in here about who had the ball last, first, or something to that nature.

3. One of my biggest questions. And one of the few in which I really had personal conviction that the ref just could not be right. Our defender sets up to take a charge. I am setting right behind the bench so I have a great view of the play. Defender becomes stationary, player with ball takes 2 steps and collision occurs. BLOCKING! Say what?! Coach goes ballistic and the ref tells the coach that the defender flenched before she was it and thus was not set or motionless. Is a simple flinch of the neck or shoulders anticipating the imminent impact enough to call a block? The ref told coach and actually used his body to show the coach what the girl did. It was basically just that she stiffined up, no foot movement.

Anyway, like I said, I am just a fan. I grew up around basketball and know the game fairly well, but obviously I do not know all the technical aspects of officiating. I have done umpiring before and I know that you guys cant win, regardless of what you do. I see the refs do alot more right than most of the people around me do!

Thanks everyone!

By the way, I read the thread on here about the fan saying" C'mon Ref! " There was a guy in the stands yelling that last night and I asked my wife, " I wonder where he is wanting to take him?" LOL

[Edited by remofire on Jan 28th, 2006 at 11:18 AM]