View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

WeekendRef, I certainly won't speak for Mr. Rutledge (he will no doubt answer you), but I think it was pretty clear that what he was saying is that it is his observation and opinion that, at least in his area, Black officials have to "be better, work longer and prove more" than is also true for White officials. Based on what he has said at other times, I think you will get no argument from him that he would support high standards (the good games should go to the better, harder/longer working, more proven officials). He would object -- and so would I and a lot of other people -- when that high standard is only applied to certain officials rather than all officials.

In my area, I know of lousy officials who are Black who complain about not getting more and better games and they attribute the problem to race/racism. Also in my area I know of lousy officials who are White who complain about not getting more and better games and they attribute the problem to politics/being buddies with the right people. Unfortunately, those officials spend too much wasted time and energy on complaining and not enough on improving. However, it *is* true that issues like race and politics influence - sometimes with subtlety, sometimes overtly - human beings' decisions. Each of us needs to be aware of it and to do our best to treat people fairly and as much as possible based on performance.