View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

I totally believe Rut's experiencee -- that in his area blacks and Hispanics have to be "better" in order to get varsity games.

That being said, I assure you that being a white male in many conferences in my area is no guarantee of getting varsity games -- no matter how hard you work. And the reasons are identical to what Rut cited -- if you do not have connections, you are not getting "promoted." The "old boy network" here is truly color blind (in my experience), but if you have no connections, you had better be a LOT better and work a LOT harder and be willing to travel a LOT farther if you want varsity games.

I recently was introduced to a second-year offical who had a full varstiy schedule. It turns out he is the son of a high school AD and the assignor made sure to take good care of the son. I also worked a varisty game this week with a second-year official. It was no coincidence that she got the game. She is still learning (and she is the first to admit it), but there is a big push to get women to officiate girl's games. An inexperienced woman will get a girls's varsity game much faster than an experienced man who is trying to break into varsity.