View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm old enough (48) to remember when traveling was pretty easy to spot. But these days it seems as if the leniency given in the NBA has filtered down through college and now into high school and beyond. That being said, a couple of questions:

Why isn't that jump-stop move a travel? In the past the player got his 2-1/2 steps and if he landed again he was called for traveling. Now players take their 2-1/2, land on two feet and leave the ground again for a shot and it's legal. What am I missing?

While watching the UM/MSU game Wednesday I noticed that when players flash out and catch a pass, they often travel. For example, they'll catch the ball on the left foot, step to their right foot (which IMO establishes the pivot foot) and then step once more to the left foot. I suppose the argument could be made that it has no impact on the play and, therefore, should not be called. But it seems like an old-fashioned travel to me.

Does anyone else think enforcement of traveling is not near as tight as it used to be? I even see the extra steps at the middle school level rarely called.

Thoughts?