View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 12:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Similar to some comments by BBR, my first thought was to wonder how good these officials are. Being good, very good, can change a lot IMO.
While I commend any board, organization or group that makes sure different races are represented, we will not reach that "zen" level (or whatever ), until this whole subject isn't an issue - spoken, thought or otherwise. The organizations who do something about this are doing MUCH better than people who aren't even concerned about it. BBR, what city do you live in?
I agree that the ability level of these officials does matter. The problem is that if they are just as good as other officials and they still are sitting out, that is still wrong. If the story is correct one of the officials has coaches wondering why he is not getting games. I realize coaches are not the main judge of officials, but I think coaches know who works hard and who is on a similar level as other officials that they see all the time.

This might be an extreme case, but in my area we have to be better, work longer and prove more to get a simple opportunity to work in many conferences. Someone that is not Black/Hispanic can get there friend to bring them along and no one says anything. Times have really not completely changed.

Peace