View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I have no idea whether these officials are being treated unfairly or not, as we only hear one side in this very short article. But I do know that there are prejudices/bias in these types of situations across the entire country, that all officials face, not just minority races or women. And yes, minority races and women do face more of this in life. Everyone is not treated fairly.

But I also know they are officials, that no matter who long they officiate, never get any better and will never be able to work a varsity game. That includes all races and genders.

In our association, we work crews. Every varsity crew has either one white and two minorities or two minorities and one white, with the exception of two crews. Those two crews, one is all white, one is all black. On my crew that worked the state championship in football, there were three whites and two blacks, This year, our association president is black, the VP is Native American, the tresurer is white, and the secretary is black. Of the 11 board members, five are white and 6 are minorities. We go out of our way to make sure that everyone is represented

I said all that to say those. IMO, that's very balanced situation. Evenso, I know there are members who feel they aren't getting varsity games because of the color of their skin. There's always going to be those who think they are being mistreated. In fact, each of us feels that way from time to time. I don't have an answer to that, as I don't think there is an easy answer. But again, I also know that there are those officials who will never work a varsity game, nor should they.

JMHO
BBR, It is good to know your association is doing a good job in making the diversity work within it. It truly shows an honest effort is being made. You are correct in stating there is two side to every story and that everyone is not able to work specific levels.