View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

As described, this situation certainly sounds as though the official scorer may have behaved unethically. (I hope he wasn't an educator.)

Oftentimes, however, part of the problem lies in the fact that many players simply don't know how to report. Likely, they've never been told by their coach because he doesn't know either.

Coach just says, "Johnny, get in there for Tom NOW," so Johnny sprints for the scorers' table, and sees three, four, or ten people sitting there.

He may say his number to the general vicinity or he may not. Might just make eye contact with somebody who acknowledges him. The offical scorer (to whom he should report) may be recording a basket or that last foul and isn't looking up. Moreover, he probably isn't wearing stripes (at least not at high school games around these parts), so Johnny doesn't know who's in charge. And that giant X on the floor must mean something, but Johnny's not sure what.

When I'm the scorer, any player who approaches the table is deemed to have reported. I do what I can to educate them by getting them to state their number if circumstance allows. But as long as the players are making the effort to check in, they're good to go in my book.

The last thing the on-court officials need is a problem at the table.

Sven