View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by new2hoops
It sounds easy to say "shut up" but when you watch supposed veterans (and these guys were ancient) make such a basic mistake, it is not so easy.
Welcome to the forum, new2hoops! I'd like to suggest that whether it is "easy" or not depends on your motivation. If someone said: "I'll give you $1 million dollars if you don't say a word during this basketball game," I am confident that you would walk away with $1 million of easy money. Now, if someone says: "I'll appreciate it if you be a credit to the profession/avocation of officiating and refrain from making comments during this basketball game," if that's not easy for you, it's only because being a credit to the profession/avocation is not as strong a motivator for you. Perhaps you disagree that refraining from comment is good, but in any event the reason why it is not easy is because you lack the motivation.

As a former individual who was in the it's-not-easy-to-stay-quiet-in-the-face-of-incompetent-officials camp, let me invite you to come over to the it's-really-fun-to-just-sit-back-and-enjoy-watching-and-perhaps-learning-from-my-colleagues camp. It takes time to make the trip, but there's a lot of satisfaction once you do.

Again, welcome.