View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by hbioteach
I call a foul on A1. Doulble bonus two shots for b1. Coach of B calls a timeout that he doesn't have. Team T on B. B1 shoots 2. A2 is shooting first of 2 technical foul shoots. I'm the T. Just as a2 is shooting partner blows whistle. No signal. Goes to table and says a had 6 on the floor during the shot.

I go talk to him to ask him what call is. He says A has 6 on the floor (5 nonshooters talking to coach on sideline). I'm trying to think of a way out of this. He is insistant on the call. Why was he even looking at this? I tell him to go report the T on A6 and we continue the game from there.

I know by rule he's right but... A loses by 5 in double OT because of that call.

Here's the question:
What do you do when your partner makes horrific call like that?
What do I do? I support my partner completely out on the floor and then talk to him in the dressing room after the game. Your partner is a first-year official. You can't expect him to be doing a great job yet or to have developed sound judgment. That's all part of the learning process for any new official. Give him a chance to develop and help him- not dump on him.

Bottom line too...your partner was correct, by rule. If you're going to question him out on the floor like you did, you might as well hold up a sign saying "My partner screwed up". Wrong way to go about it imo.

Btw, you are aware of the correct ruling on this play, aren't you? That "someone from the bench" that you're talking about cannot legally be on their feet during a live ball(which a free throw is), let alone be out on the court. Rule 10-4-4. As soon as that "someone from the bench" stood up, it's a automatic "T". Your partner had the wrong reason for the "T", but the "T" certainly was deserved- strictly by rule.

Btw, I also disagree with you completely that that call cost team A the game. No single call ever does that. To be quite honest, I really don't think that you could even call that call "horrific". That's over-the-top. Yes, it was probably bad judgment, but that's how we learn our craft- by making mistakes and learning from them.
I had no choice but to question him on the call. I didn't know what his call was!!! I agreed with him that by rule it was the right call. We kept the floor discussion brief so he could properly report the T.