View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I stayed to watch the boys varsity tonight. Big rivaly game, stands are packed, the band is rocking, it's so loud that sometimes you can't hear the whistles or even the horn. The game is a barn burner from beginning to end. My team (the guys in stripes) are more than equal to the task. They are, in fact, putting on a mechanics clinic (in the best sense of that phrase) and I shoulda been scribbling notes feverishly.

With about 8 seconds to go, the visitors are trailing by two, but their worst free throw shooter ties it up with two huge free throws. It's pandimonium in the visitor's section!

Home team pushes it up the floor, point guard launches a running jumper from behind the arc that lands and sits on the flange FOREVER before finally dropping into the basket. The horn goes off, and the entire home team student section rushes onto the floor.

The trail is waiting to leave the floor but his partner is engulfed in the sea of students. I'm starting to get a little worried about him, frankly. This goes on for nearly a minute. Finally the PA announcer comes on and tells the students to clear the floor because there is time remaining on the game clock.

As soon as the basket went, the lead had glanced at the visiting bench, seen the head coach's time-out request, then had the presence of mind to look at the clock. So after clearing a few hundred jubilant students from the floor, they put 0.8 seconds back on the clock and the visitors get one last chance to tie it up again. They throw up a desperation shot that misses the mark.

The home crowd goes nuts and the band is rocking louder than ever!

Is there a better way to spend a Friday night?