View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by hooper
I see that the answer to these types of questions (ie: coach possibly bringing up a valid point) is to just assess a technical or ignore.

I suggest that the other thing that might come of this (though I don't necessarily think this applies in this case) is that ref might consider whether, in fact, the coach does have a point.

Coaches just want to know that from game to game, things will be called consistently. (This is helpful to them in teaching their kids the rules of the game, the nuances, etc.)

It's ridiculous for coaches to hold grudges against certain officials, but they do. But that doesn't mean that they might not occassionally make a good point.
Even if the coach is 100% correct in his assessment of the situation that B was being unsportsmanlike and should be T'd (which I'm not agreeing to), he is not "making a valid point" by telling it to the ref. It is the ref's job to be consistent, and the coach's job to coach the kids. Calling fouls is not done by consensus. Calling fouls is done by the refs staying in position to see the action and calling what they see.

However, generally in these situations, the coach is not correct. He sees the play very one-sidedly, and isn't usually a good objective evaluator of what happened just now. That's what the refs are paid for.

Also, hooper, if I remember correctly, you coach at the jr hi level. At high school level, coaches are allowed more latitude in some things, but less latitude in others. This comment is not appropriate, nor helpful. And the refs are usually a lot more likely to be right.