View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I did handle it that way in a college game this season. I was Trail for the FTs and the coach yelled for a violation. My partner comes over and says, it is a violation. I said, "Not until the shooter catches it.
True, but if either player coming or going was out of a lane space when the FT shooter caught it, then technically it shoulda been a violation.

I still wouldn't have called it, just like you.
That was my argument in the local discussion. The player may not have broken 9-1-6 (a player leaving a space), but certainly did infringe 9-1-8.

After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:

ART. 6 . . . No player shall enter or leave a marked lane space.

ART. 8 . . . A player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space, may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the free-throw line extended and the three-point line which is farther from the basket.

It is instructive to hear the opinions here because these situations happened in two recent games. One official handled it JR/Chuck's way and the other called a violation.

Of course, any association strives to be consistent in handling similar situations, hence we have been debating how exactly to deal with this.