View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Question

Folks,

As I continue to adapt to the 3-person, I've noticed something come up a few times recently I'd like your takes on.

After years of being taught to get very deep as lead in 2-man, I'm now being taught to stay fairly close to the end line as lead in 3-person, especially when I'm wide. That's fair enough. But I'm feeling a little too close to the players, and there's evidence that I am. To wit:

--A couple of weeks back, I had several fouls on the shot on the baseline, right in front of me. In many of those cases, the coach was hollering that the shooter walked first. Maybe she did and maybe she didn't...I was focused high and missed her feet. If I were deeper, I could see both high and low, and make that no-travel call more confidently.

--Tonight, similarly, I had a coach come unglued because he felt his player, a baseline shooter, was undercut. It's possible the coach was full of it...the player didn't go to the floor as a truly undercut player would. But the point is, I was close to the players and focused up high, and therefore didn't know what was happening below the players' bellies. A player -could- have gotten away with low contact, and I therefore didn't have much to say to him when we had our inevitable chat.

With these plays in mind, some questions:

--What is the rationale for having the lead close to the end line in 3-person? Why wouldn't the same advantages of being deep as lead in 2-person apply in 3-person?

--If I'm supposed to be up close, should a partner (maybe T) keep an eye on post's feet?

--Am I making some other error in positioning that is causing me to have this problem? When I'm wide (out by the 3-point line), I'm cozied up by the end line. If I head to closedown, I'm about 3 feet off the line. For most of the no-calls listed above, I was somewhere in-between, getting myself a view of some daylight between the baseline player and her defender.

--Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me?

Thanks for the patience with this long post.

--BRG