View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Ok...a question for tomegun: How do you know when there is a "match-up" to watch? I would bet it doesn't have anything to do with where an offensive player is standing...example: offensive player standing at head of key, without the ball, no defender within 10 feet - is that your match-up? It becomes a "match-up" when a defensive player starts making it competitive...and how do we know when that happens? Because we referee the defense and see that match-up start...like I said, "tomato" and "tuhmato" (just for you, Chuck...

And you really have no clue who on this board has done what, so throwing out comments like "your A level varsity/jv" labels really doesn't help anything...many of us on this board have "learned from the best" and continue to do so...the mentor you got "ref the match-up" from took it right out of the NCAA manual, as did the person who posted "Ref the defense, think like the offense"...so one thing from the manual is better than another?

Anyway, hope you had a nice nap on the drive and the game went well...
Hey Rock -

In a nutshell, all of the camps that I have been to have stressed refereeing the defense. It does a couple of things for me:

1. It keeps me from ball watching
2. It helps me get the correct call on the PC or B/C
3. It also helps with the Post play if you are in the lead
4. It has aided me in deciding on double fouls and illegal screens.

This is just a few instances. Off ball, no question, referee the defense.