View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I'm often surprised by which topics generate the most responses. This is one such surprise.

If the coach had not mentioned his team was boys, I would have sworn he was talking about my 7th Grade Girls "travel" game last night. I wish I had been paid by the whistle. Even with a 10-point lead and seconds to go, the teams were pressing. And of course they were fouling. As others noted, they were not good enough. It's that simple. I had several parents (during the game) thank me for calling so many fouls (on their team.) I told them it would make no difference. It did not.

Coaches can complain all they want about the refs. We don't miss the layups. We don't only dribble to the right because we have no skills to dribble left. We don't form a scrum around the ball because we are not taught how to spread the court. I listened to coaches yelling for 32 minutes of stopped time "Don't foul" as the girls were reaching, grabbing, slapping, clutching and pushing.

And...when one team lost by 10 points, two parents came up to me to tell me it was the most biased officiating they had ever seen. Of course, it's the ref's fault. It couldn't possibly be anything else.