View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Here's another play for my NFHS should make a clear ruling on this thread.
Strangely, the NFHS had a clear ruling on this. Then, they cahnged the case play to mkae it less clear (at least to me).
Agreed.

The following case play was altered in 2003-04:

2002-03 version:
4.15.4 SITUATION C: After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent's backboard and catches the rebound; (b) against an official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; or (c) against his/her own backboard, catches the rebound and dribbles again. RULING: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent's backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. In (c), the action is legal as a player's own backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds, but does not constitute a part of a dribble. (9-5)

2003-04 version (as well as the current version):
4.15.4 SITUATION C: After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent's backboard and catches the rebound; (b) against an official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; or (c) against his/her own backboard in an attempt to score (try), catches the rebound and dribbles again. RULING: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent's backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. In (c), the action is legal. Once the ball is released on the try, there is no player or team control, therefore, A1 can recover the rebound and begin a dribble.

I put the changes the NFHS made to this play in red.