Thread: Game speed
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 09:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
The good officials don't get cursed at or threatened repeatedly because THEY LEARN THE SKILLS TO HANDLE THOSE SITUATIONS.
So are you telling me that all the stories I read about officials being assulted or being attacked are the official's fault because they did not handle the situation properly?

I see your comprehension skills are as good as ever. Read it again and it says CURRENT and former NBA players. Based on your argument your average high school player is better than Jordan, since he's a former player.[/B][/QUOTE]

Unless you are working some Pro-Am, not sure how great that could be. Even the Pro-Am leagues that have current NBA players and some college players are very good, but those are not what I would call a Men's League. Those leagues have structure and rules in place that are the same thing as working a college or HS game.

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Officials that take short cuts in youth, rec and MS games will take short cuts in HS games too, it still depends on the official. They won't magically transform into JRut...thank God.
Of course they take short cuts. Working a HS game usually requires a license (which requires a test, background checks, and camp participation as an example). Working a Men's League or even a JH game requires nothing but a striped shirt, whistle and the ability to walk. A lot of officials that work Men's leagues do not work anything else. An official trying to get better might run into one of these guys and not switch, not use proper reporting techniques let alone signal mechanics. Then when this young official gets in front of an assignor or an evaluator that might have great influence over their career holds them back from where they might want to go.

Once again, we all have a right to our opinion. Either way it goes this conversation was about the speed of the game and adjusting to it, not which league you can learn from or not learn from.

Peace