Thread: Game speed
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 08:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Yeah and them doing all those game had no impact on them getting better.

You learn more game management skills in a couple of nights of men's league than an entire season of high school ball. That makes you better.
So I can learn that I can get curse out by players, threatened on a regular basis and I learned how to handle games better? Then when players do that in a Men's League, they pay $10 and they can return to the league after being thrown out of a game. If a HS or college player did the same thing, they would be ejected from the league, likely suspended from any HS sport for the rest of the year, but an adult pays a small fine and he can play in the league next week. You are right, that is a lot of learning going on. Usually what most learn is to stop doing them. The people I know that work those games only do it for the money and admit to getting lazy when working. You are right; you can learn something from those games.

Quote:
Older youth rec ball and better men's leagues are just as fast paced and have players that can run the same offenses and defenses that you see in a HS game.
Whatever you say.

Quote:
I've worked plenty of games where every player played past high school, with most playing D1, with several current and former NBA players. I'm sure those games were just hacks running around not having a clue what they are doing.
Noticed you said the word "former." I know a lot of players that got to a certain level at one point in their life and were not considered good players. Or they cannot play anymore. Just because you were "once" something, does not mean you are "something" today. So yes, I have officiating adults that were "once" something and could not play anymore. Maybe that is why they "once" played at those levels.

Quote:
Officials should be the ones expecting more from themselves not those assigning them the games. An official that wants to get better and do things the right way can do that at any level of game, and it is not just dependant on if that game is HS or above.
They should but they don't. Officials "should" do a lot of things, but we all know what we expect is not going to always happen. A lot of officials do not officiate for the same reasons and many officials all do not claim to work for the same reason that you and many others that come here officiate. In a meeting I was at today we talked about how a lot of officials do the bear minimum to get by.

Peace