View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 06:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Let's back up and define the correct terms.

First of all, remember what consitutes how the foul will be deal with: that would be "act of shooting." The "act of shooting" is not dependant upon the definition of "try", as it could be a "tap" as well. The act of shooting begins with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight... (4.41.1)

Notice, it didn't say, "ends when the try ends." Thus, when the try ends isn't relevent for this exercise.

You have to ask yourself, "was the ball clearly in flight"? If he can still grab it, I'd say "no," thus he's still in the act of shooting and if the ball goes in, count the basket and award one shot. This is going to be a tough sell, but you must choose your words carefully. "Coach, he was still in the act of shooting." Besides, for this to happen, it will happen so fast that I don't think it will be questioned.

The situation on a blocked shot coming back to A is a case of the ball clearly being in flight. Thus, the act of shooting had ended and it isn't applicable to this discussion.
Lah me.

Howinthe heck can you say the ball was not clearly in flight when the original post said that "the foul causes the ball to come OUT of A1's hands"?. The "act of shooting" ended with the ball in flight. Rule 4-41-1 sez so, as you cited yourself above. How can you possibly say that he's still in the act of shooting then?

You're contradicting yourself, Tex. You're also completely wrong if you'd count that basket. If he grabs the ball that's knocked loose and puts it up again, he's now in his second act of shooting and his second try.